Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Work Goes On...

Hello pamilya! Naragsak nga baro a tawen!  It's New Year's Eve tomorrow and things are bound to get crazy.  We have a curfew of 5:00 p.m. and we think the celebration is going to be crazier than Christmas was. Speaking of Christmas, I was so glad I got to call and give a belated Merry Christmas finally. It was pretty stressful this week trying to manage that and time for our investigators as well as all our personal needs.  Well in a nutshell it's been crazy trying to settle into the new area and to top it off, we haven't budgeted very good so it'll be interesting to see if we even have money left over at all. (just to give you an idea I had a 3000 peso emergency fund that's half way gone now after paying for food. As long as we have enough money to get to District meeting in Claveria we should be fine.)  It's still a great day though and always a great week!

Speaking of great days, Saturday and Sunday ended up really nice especially in light of how Christmas went (to put it euphemistically it was wet and we didn't get to teach any lessons, but it was still a great day too!). We had a lesson with Bro. Gladwin who is a really intelligent Filipino that doesn't really have a religious affiliation but he reads the Bible everyday and believes in personal revelation from the scriptures.  We talked about the Apostasy and Joseph Smith and somehow we got talking about how he wants to strengthen his relationship with God and a little about the Plan of Salvation. We encouraged him to read and pray and if he does he'll get personal revelation. Great lesson.  Then we taught John Paul and Menchy. They're getting married today (they have two little kids already) and they both came to church yesterday which means they can be baptized in three weeks!!!! (assuming they keep coming to church).  I'll also talk about the Ramirez family. They live right next door to JP and Menchy and both of their families are really poor the only difference is that the Ramirez family has a ton of kids and grandkids.  Nanay and Tatay ate really fast to they could come over and listen to us talk with JP and Menchy. That's a pretty good indication of how much they love us and love hearing our message.  The Ramirez family can be baptized in two weeks if they come to church as well, but their daughter Jenny Ann really wanted to be baptized and she has been to church every week since before I've been here so we decided she could.  

On Sunday we got to teach to another really great couple that wants to get married soon and then baptized.  Their names are Rex and Shella.  They came to church as well and Shella really has a desire to be baptized.  She read all the way into Alma in only 8 weeks!  She loves the gospel.  I taught the gospel principles class since the Branch is so small here and our lesson was on tithing.  After class Shella asked Elder Ramsay to get her a tithing slip so she could make a donation even though she's not a member yet!  That's some serious faith in the Lord.

Well I'm looking forward to some exciting things in this area and the work is progressing even though it's been the hardest this past week and probably just as hard this week.  Thanks for the emails, those were perfect.  Thanks for the support, prayers and love ibinibigay ninyo sa akin (you give to me).

Mahal ko kayo lahat
Happy New Year!
-Elder Egan

P.S. I can't believe you're doing another high school get together and going to Cancun.  Sounds like Christmas was good and simple.  So I feel fine on my own, I hardly ever cook because everyone I've been with has been better than me, but I made French toast this morning :) I would say make Kolsen wash the dishes by hand more often because I really wish I would've just jumped in and done it sometimes.  It's pretty much what I do when my companion is cooking.  Learn how to budget money and time...better to learn that one earlier.  Basically like dad says, learn to work hard.

P.P.S. Everyone here that has seen a picture of Kolsen with long hair thinks he's a skater punk. Girls like shorter hair on guys. I hope he likes girls more than I did in whatever grade he's in now, they're more fun.  Emma can't date until she's 18 though, sorry.  It's good she's friends with Carlee again now stay like that! And be friends with Mikalyn and Kaden's sister (freak I'm already forgetting people's names).  Mia has always been a little bit of a diva, but she's a cutie...maybe you should send a little picture of her being cute to me because I bet the kids here would love to see a little American girl. (and I want more pictures, old ones too).
 

The new digs in Pagupud

Elder Egan sleeps on the bottom
Hmm...could be worse??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment