Monday, December 16, 2013

"A Slow and Flat Out Hard Week"

Another week has already flown by, I still can't figure out where all the time goes.  Well I hope everything is going good for you back at home.  Snow would be incredible right now, but I'll stick with the warm weather for a little while I guess.  Well this week has been a little slow and flat out hard.  It's been the least productive as far as how many lessons we've been able to teach and we had a grand total of 0 investigators at church.  That was a pretty big bummer.  It's probably the hardest thing to watch people not act on their faith.  Some people decide that there just isn't enough time in the day read the scriptures and not enough time to go to church on Sunday or maybe it's more worth it to buy alcohol and cigarettes instead of going to church.  Whatever the case, they're missing out on so much more.  

Well you can't change someone's agency, but you can invite the Spirit into a lesson.  That's the only way that people will ever do anything in this work.  Without the Spirit, nobody would have a testimony of this gospel.  So that's how dependent we are on the Spirit, if we don't have that we have nothing.  So that's what I'm trying to work on this week: having the Spirit with us when we teach a lesson.  I know that people will act if they have that undeniable feeling that comes from the Spirit.

So I'll talk a little about the week we had.  We went to an investigators house in Namruangan during their son's birthday.  He has cerebral palsy and he basically can't do anything but roll on his back.  So here's an example of how nice the people of the Philippines are: this family has two working parents to try and support their family while taking care of their son and on his birthday they cook a bunch of party food and invite everyone over and gave the missionaries a nice big helping of pancit, some gram cracker crusted fruit salad, a chicken dish, and sticky rice.  We couldn't finish that even if we wanted to.  Now they probably won't be eating very good for a while and tatay might have to give up some cigarettes this week, but I can't say for sure.  

So I got a haircut and I would say it's better than the last one I got, but my right ear line got messed up.  I might not send a picture of me for a week or so.  So some good news is that 7-11 got soft serve machines and a giant cone is only 15 pesos.  That's less than 50 cents.  So one of the Elders in our apartment got a package and we've had some nice snack food for the past couple weeks.  

So as far as packages go I don't have any yet.  Also for future reference, things are a lot cheaper here so instead of buying a shirt and sending it, you might as well send money here or put it in my bank account.  I don't know about the phone call yet.  There is Skype but I don't know when and how we'll end up doing that.  

So that's about all I've got to say for now.
Mahal ko kayo lahat (I love you all)
-Elder Egan

No comments:

Post a Comment